[vlc-devel] Win32 builds

Olivier Aubert olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr
Thu Jan 24 11:55:25 CET 2008

I agree with Remi on the fact that bindings should not be built in the
standard VLC installer, it adds too many dependencies. Having them
activated in the builbots would be nice, but clearly adds workload and
maybe also dependencies to them.

The situation in the coming 0.9.0 is much cleaner than in previous
releases: it is now possible to build bindings (at least python, but I
guess it is the same for java and .net) from a standard vlc binary
distribution. It is still a bit tricky, since headers are not shipped
with installers (except in debian packages, which provide a
libvlc1-dev), so you have to get a VLC source tree to get the
appropriate headers. But it can be done.

As for plugins, it would be very nice to be able to build them "out of
tree" too. My application is using python bindings and also depends on
the SVG module. For the moment, I have to build the whole VLC with this
module activated, and add it at runtime when deploying over a standard
vlc install. An infrastructure to build and register user plugins would
be a real plus here (just wishful thinking, I do not have the time to
work on that).

Just my 2 cents.
Olivier