[vlc-devel] libvlc_media_descriptor_... setting mrl question

jboileau jboileau at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:04:22 CET 2008

Hi Pierre,

Well yes the problem is with the release of the media instance and it
probably make sense that it hangs there. But I don't know how to do things
diffrently. If I need to create a new media descriptor and then get a new
media instance from it, if I don't release the previous one won't I end up
with memory leaks? Here is what I do in my event callback. Any suggestions
on what to do differently for things to work?

I detach from the event manager (libvlc_event_detach)
I release the media instance (libvlc_media_instance_release)
--> and it hangs right here as expected <---
I create a new media descriptor (libvlc_media_descriptor_new)
I add options (libvlc_media_descriptor_add_option)
I create a media instance (libvlc_media_instance_new_from_media_descriptor)
I release the media descriptor (libvlc_media_descriptor_release)
I get the new event manager (libvlc_media_instance_event_manager)
I attach to it (libvlc_event_attach)
I start the play (libvlc_media_instance_play)

I hope this helps you figure things out. Let me know if you need more
details.

As always: thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated!

Jacques