[vlc-devel] M2X Company website Enquiry

Remi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Fri Jan 25 16:19:48 CET 2008

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:11:07 +0100, Jean-Paul Saman
<jean-paul.saman at planet.nl> wrote:
> I am currently doing a project on audio transmission over a ethernet. I
> am using a PIC microcontroller which samples an audio signal at 10kHz
with
> 10bits resoltuion. I can also transmit data over the UDP protocol. I wish
> to pick up the audio signal using VLC media player. The problem i am
having
> is that i don't jnow if i should put my data samples into a .wave file
> format. If I do, should i send a certain number of samples every certain
> time and each time have the data in the .wave file format. Or first send
> only the .wav then samples?  I am not sure please help. my other option
is
> to write a program in Visual C that opens a UDP port and then the program
> makes a .wav file format and the it recevies a certain number of samples
> and then plays that?

You can send PCM samples to VLC over UDP using RTP encapsulation.
Note that you'll need to downrate to 8-bits, or convert to 16-bits samples,
for this to work as there is no 10-bits PCM sample format. You will also
need to feed a proper format description SDP to VLC, so that it can learn
the non-standard sample rate (standard is 8000kHz, not 10kHz), IP/port
information and RTP payload format mapping.

VLC can resample to whatever the sound card is willing to accept, though
the resulting quality may vary.

http://www.remlab.net