[vlc-devel] Improper #include statements in /usr/include/vlc files

Bill C. Riemers briemers at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 18:57:03 CEST 2008

I notice the header files installed with VLC are incorrect.   In
particular, header files include references to the wrong path:

e.g. in  /usr/include/vlc/plugins/vlc_access.h:

#include <vlc_block.h>

Which means literally to include /usr/include/vlc_block.h.   So if
someone writes code like:

$ cat foo.c
#include <vlc/plugins/vlc_access.h>

The compile will fail.

Files installed to the /usr/include directory tree should reference
include files by the correct relative paths.   Such as:

#include <vlc/plugins/vlc_block.h>

This problem however, can be worked around by adding -I/usr/include/vlc
-I/usr/include/vlc/plugins to the gcc compile line, but in that case
there is no reason to install the include files under /usr/include.

Bill