[vlc-devel] Improper #include statements in /usr/include/vlc files

Bill C. Riemers briemers at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 20:20:26 CEST 2008

Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le lundi 7 juillet 2008 19:57:03 Bill C. Riemers, vous avez écrit :
>
>> I notice the header files installed with VLC are incorrect.   In
>> particular, header files include references to the wrong path:
>>

> pkg-config --cflags vlc-plugin

Thanks, that command will help clean up my Makefile.

Something that would help, is there appears to be a defacto-standard
that packages which need additional -I flags are installed
into a version specific directory.   Examples of this are:

/usr/include/atk-1.0
/usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0
/usr/include/libbonobo-2.0
/usr/include/xulrunner-sdk-1.9
/usr/include/evolution-data-server-2.22
/usr/include/at-spi-1.0
/usr/include/dbus-1.0
/usr/include/eel-2
/usr/include/gtk-2.0

While I can find no standard that requires this, it definitely looks
like a way to make things clearer.   Especially if one needs to deal
with multiple versions of the same library installed at the same time.
If this defacto standard was applied to vlc, then I would expect to find
something like:

/usr/include/vlc-plugin-0.9.0

as the location for vlc-plugin header files.

Bill