[vlc-devel] Disable x11 in VLC build

hce webmail.hce at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 03:14:12 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Christophe Mutricy <xtophe at chewa.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> Then, I failed to run vlc to play audio files on the ARM platform
>> which can only running on root. Could you please explain what were
>> really missing caused following errors? Was it missing something due
>> to above disabled options, or it was the problem of running on root?
>>
>> ./arm-linux-vlc file:///test.mp3
>> VLC media player 0.8.6h Janus
>> starting VLC root wrapper... using UID 0 (root)
>> ***************************************
>> * Running VLC as root is discouraged. *
>> ***************************************
>>
>>  It is potentially dangerous, and might not even work properly.
>> [00000001] main private error: no memcpy module matched "any"
>
> Starting with vlc 0.8.6h, you need to either "make install" or pass
> the localtion of the modules to vlc. That's to avoid a security issue.
>
> ./vlc --plugins-path modules should work

I compiled VLC by an ARM cross compiler on my host machine. I did
"make install" to a VLC directory (bin, include, lib, share), and
downloaded the VLC directory to the ARM platform. That was not working
as above.

I've then tried following command, please correct me if following
command is not correct, and I've got an error of unknown option of
`--plugins-path'.

# /VLC/bin/arm-linux-vlc --plugins-path /VLC file:///test.mp3
VLC media player 0.8.6h Janus
starting VLC root wrapper... using UID 0 (root)
***************************************
* Running VLC as root is discouraged. *

 It is potentially dangerous, and might not even work properly.
arm-linux-vlc: unknown option or missing mandatory argument `--plugins-path'
Try `arm-linux-vlc --help' for more information.

I checked with `arm-linux-vlc --help', could not find "--plugins-path"
argument in this version of VLC.

Am I missing things here?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,