[vlc-devel] Out Dated Documentation

Grae Cullen tua57044 at temple.edu
Tue Jul 15 18:00:01 CEST 2008

Hi all,

    I had two questions about your documentation.  Since, it
is no longer correct, maybe you could fill me in a bit.  In
exchange I will update your hacker's guide wiki with your answers.

    Here is the first question.  It refers to this this statement.

"At first, an input plug-in capable of reading the plugin item
is looked for [this is inappropriate : we should first open
the socket, and then probe the beginning of the stream to see
which plug-in can read it]. The socket is opened by either
input_FileOpen, input_NetworkOpen, or input_DvdOpen."

These three functions no longer exist in current vlc code.
What is their current equivalent?  This relates to be wanting
to follow the process of the code to see what decoders is chosen.

The second question refers this statement:

"The most important file is include/input_ext-intf.h, which
you should know almost by heart. This file defines the
input_thread_t structure, the stream_descriptor_t and all
programs and ES descriptors included (you can view it as a tree)."

Where are these structures defined?  include/input_ext-intf.h
no longer exists.  I found 400+ references to input_thread_t,
and and zero for stream_descriptor_t.  I am mainly interested
in this because I would like to better understand how to
change the responses to the interface in certain input modules.

Thanks for any help you can give me.  And Like I said, I will
put any information updates you give me on the wiki.

God Bless you
Grae