[vlc-devel] commit: Fixed image_Convert by properly overriding release policy. ( Laurent Aimar )

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Thu Jul 17 21:38:19 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008, Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:

> On Jul 17, 2008, at 9:22 PM, git version control wrote:
>
> > vlc | branch: master | Laurent Aimar <fenrir at videolan.org> | Thu Jul
> > 17 21:23:19 2008 +0200| [796e72022f71598de3a162998a240632e65fed60]
> >
> > Fixed image_Convert by properly overriding release policy.
> >
> >> http://git.videolan.org/gitweb.cgi/vlc.git/?a=commit;h=796e72022f71598de3a162998a240632e65fed60
> > ---
> > +    p_pic->pf_release = video_release_buffer_dummy;
> >     p_pif = p_image->p_filter->pf_video_filter( p_image->p_filter,
> > p_pic );
> > +    p_pic->pf_release = pf_sav_release;
>
> Does that means that pf_video_filter is trying to release p_pic? Why
> don't we correct that in video filter plugin instead?
 The video filter does destroy the picture they are given when they do
not need them anymore.
 It is by design and it is not a bug. (You cannot suppose when a video
filter does not need the input picture anymore).

 The bug is that image_Convert wasn't handling it correclty as it does
not want this (default) behavior.
 Well now that I think of it, it is not completely correct as the picture
may be destroyed by image_Convert caller while the filter still need it.
 In the current state (vout does not use pf_release but a special scheme),
there is no proper solution but to do a complete copy :(

--
fenrir