[vlc-devel] Translation of VLC into Afrikaans and other languages

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at chewa.net
Wed Jul 23 01:01:03 CEST 2008

Hello

On Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 11:03 +0200, Samuel Murray (Groenkloof) wrote:
> I'd like to help translate VLC into Afrikaans and possibly a few other
> languages as well.  I'm one of the admins of the Pootle server at
> pootle.locamotion.org, and I'd like to make use of it when translating
> VLC into Afrikaans.
>
> I assume the POT file contained in the latest source file (vlc-0.8.6e)
> is the latest.  Is there a mailing list to subscribe to which sends out
> notice when the POT file is updated?

The good one is the one from Git
http://git.videolan.org/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc.git;a=blob_plain;f=po/vlc.pot

It's a normal pot file. the only little trick is that the "C" string
need to be translated to "af" so that the debug message about
translation are correct.

> Also I'd like to know if there is a mailing list specifically for VLC
> translators.  I see there is the forum, but I can't find mention of a
> mailing list on your web site.

There is no mailing list dedicated to translators. For questions abouta
string or its context vlc-devel at videolan.org is good or the irc
#videolan on irc.freenode.org

There is no announce for new pot files. I usually send a mail round
before a release when we consider that the strings are frozen. (which
reminds me i need to do it for 0.9.0)

The 0.8.6 branch is dead and there will be release of it only if
security bugs are found before we release 0.9.0 so there is no poit
translating it.

> By the way:
>
> We host several projects at Pootle, and I'd like to offer the other VLC
> translators also the use of our Pootle server, if they're interested.
> I'll contact them individually.  Pootle is not for everyone, but it can
> be useful for teams with inexperienced translators or teams in which the
> translation is mostly finished.  Using Pootle won't impact your normal
> procedures -- translators still submit their PO files directly to you.

We don't really have teams at the moment. When someone volunteer for a
language who has already a maintaner , we redirect the volunteer to the
maintaner and then they organise as they like. but maybe some will be
interested.

Thanks,

--
Xtophe