[vlc-devel] VLC 0.9.0 release status

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Wed Jul 23 20:01:06 CEST 2008

	Hello,

There's been quite a lot of bugfixing over the last few weeks (special credits
to Laurent, Derk-Jan, Pierre and others). This means VLC is now almost
usable, which means people can find more bugs...

At last, it seems that the video output and OSX problems are mostly sorted.
Qt4 remains the main blocker, totalling half of the open 0.9.0-test3 bugs fo
its own. Not very surprising, since Qt4 has been the release blocker, well...
essentially since the decision was made to ditch WxWidgets over 2 years ago.

If there is no objections, I would propose tagging vlc 0.9.0-test3 at the end
of next week, and vlc 0.9.0-final two weeks from then, mid-august. I would
also suggest that, whenever we fork 0.9.0 from master, we put it to a
SEPARATE vlc-0.9.0-stable git tree. The main tree is messy enough.

After that, we can start breaking everything again and merging GSoC (ending
18/08) and other feature branches. Then comes the ECP campus dead period (end
of August), and then busy ECP admission period (beginning of September).

And to all the presumptive bug reporting whineys:
Not all 0.9.0 bugs and regressions will be sorted out. That would be wishful
thinking. Especially not when dealing with a large code base, a short-staffed
almost entirely volunteer-based project, and bored developpers after 6 weeks
of only fixing bugs. If you want something fixed, welcome to open-source,
your patches are welcome!

Your annoying release co-manager,
Regards,

http://www.remlab.net/