[vlc-devel] [RFC] Devs meeting

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Tue Jul 29 14:48:53 CEST 2008

	Hello,

The idea of a VideoLAN developers meeting was discussed a while ago, but did
not go very far. In the past, most people were at ECP. That does not work
anymore. It also seems that FOSDEM does not really work for this. Either,
you're not there, or you're watching (interesting) presentations from other
projects, or you're explaining what VLC is, to passers-by...

Many open-source projects have infrequent real-life meetings. I do think that
would be useful. And at worst, I am pretty sure it will not be
counter-productive anyway :)

As regards the location, I reckon we need life support (food, beverages and
sanitation), a room with proper Internet connectivity (unblocked outbound
SSH), power, desks, seats and video projection. Given the distance between
all developers, beds are going to be needed for some, wherever.

I like to visit fancy places. However, I suspect some of us don't have
passports. And more importantly, many of us have such work/study scheduling
constraints, that limits us to meeting on week-ends. Therefore, EU/CH/Norway
seems like the most manageable area, with Paris region as the likely optimal
venue.

Then, there is the travel cost problem. As a matter of principle, I am not
willing to fund airline or other 3+ digits fares with my personal savings.
And I believe some of our contributor, especially students, would be outright
unable to cover such costs by themselves, should they arise. In other words,
it seems like such meeting is unlikely to happen without a serious sponsor.

Comments & proposals welcome!

Regards,