[vlc-devel] VLC ActiveX effectively removed

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sun Jun 1 11:31:31 CEST 2008

	To whomever it may concern,

The VLC ActiveX plugin is currently completely broken. Bugs are not handled,
and it does not even compile. Most importantly, the compliance with the VLC
copyright license is unclear (at least to me), and the maintainer has
explicitly left the project with the declared intention to "fork".

As a consequence, the ActiveX plugin is effectively unusable with VLC 0.9.0.
Whether you like it or not.

If you were using the ActiveX plugin to embed VLC into your own application,
you should strongly consider switching to using the LibVLC API directly. We
currently have support for native C, Java and, to a large extent Python. We
also have .Net support in the works. You can also find Ruby support and other
alternate .Net bindings from third parties.

If you were using the ActiveX directly into MSIE, you should:
1/ check with your lawyer that this is legal at all,
2/ switch to a browser that supports Mozilla plugins.

Best regards,

N.B.: I am not asking for agreement toward removing it from the development
tree, because I am not planning to do so at this point.

http://www.remlab.net/