[vlc-devel] 2 weeks to 0.9.0 features freeze

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Jun 2 22:04:48 CEST 2008

Le lundi 2 juin 2008 22:47:56 Charles R. Hordis, vous avez écrit :
> If I add support for RTSP ANNOUNCE extensions for end-of-stream as per this
> draft standard,

Well, this is not a "draft standard" per the IETF -admittedly very
conservative- definition of an IETF draft standard.

This is an individual submission. It has not not been accepted to the IETF
MMUSIC working group yet, which often implies the document is immature, or
has not reached any kind of consensus.

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stiemerling-rtsp-announce-01.txt
> in both server and client code, and get it in by 06/15, might it be
> included for VLC 0.9.0?

Well, if you're that fast, we will consider it.

Implementing RTSP/2.0 is not exactly a trivial task. Even reading the base
rfc2336bis spec could occupy you for more than 2 weeks.

I would think that completing this before the 0.9.1 features freeze, in late
autumn (wishful thinking of mine), would already be quite an achievement. But
it is true that I am a very slow programmer.

> I would make the client proceed to the next video in the playlist upon
> receiving the end-of-stream message, as it does with local videos.

On the client side, this needs to be done in the live555 library from Ross
Finlayson. VLC does not implement client-side RTSP by itself, at least not at
the moment.

http://www.remlab.net/