[vlc-devel] commit: Don't check for impossible error involving object types ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Remi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Thu Jun 5 09:06:16 CEST 2008

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 23:54:49 +0200, Rafaël Carré <rafael.carre at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Le Wed,  4 Jun 2008 20:41:55 +0200 (CEST),
> git at videolan.org (git version control) a écrit :
>
>> vlc | branch: master | Rémi Denis-Courmont <rdenis at simphalempin.com>
>> | Wed Jun  4 21:43:38 2008 +0300|
>> [9649c59908053fd96488d1126a9149ce9ce40fc4]
>>
>> Don't check for impossible error involving object types
>>

>> +    if( !p_module )
>>          /* Shouldn't happen */
>
> assert( p_module ) ?

Well... module objects should not vanish.

But in the general case, vlc_object_get is used as a crappy loose object
reference. Such that the object can be destroyed, and then vlc_object_get
will safely return NULL. It works fine because object IDs are forever
unique. LibVLC will actually crash when the object ID counter overflows, if
ever.

I would love to remove object ID but there are way too many places that
depend on them at the moment. Also it is not clear how we should replace
them with in the log messages.

http://www.remlab.net