[vlc-devel] patch preview for multiproto support

Gregor Fuis gujs.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 15:07:44 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Claudio Luck <cluck at ethz.ch> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> attached is a first version of a patch for Multiproto support in VLC
> (74K compressed) .
>
> This patch adds --dvb-hybrid=[0=old_api, 1=new_api, 2=auto]. The default
> is --dvb-hybrid=0 which shall make VLC behave as without the patch.
> Anything different is a bug in my code. And there _are_ still bugs.
>
> The patched VLC should compile against both vanilla kernel and a
> multiproto-patched kernel (http://jusst.de/hg/multiproto).
> In the latter case VLC shall be able to switch the new and traditional
> API at runtime. I use
> > CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/src/multiproto/linux/include" ./configure
> to make it see the multiproto API.
>
> I've the following hardware to test the code:
>  - KNC1 DVB-S2
>  - Terratec Cinergy 1200 DVB-S
>  - one CI/CAM Module for both (and many troubles with it)
>
> Examples:
>  * `vlc dvb-s:// --dvb-hybrid=2` tunes DVB-S with multiproto API
>  * `vlc dvb-s2:// --dvb-hybrid=2` tunes DVB-S2 with multiproto API
>  * `vlc dvb-s:// --dvb-hybrid=0` tunes DVB-S with traditional API
>  * `vlc satellite:// --dvb-hybrid=2` is expected to cycle all available
> deliveries (does not work correctly yet)
>
> Tests and Patches are welcome, specially with non-DVB-S/S2 cards and on
> the backwards compatibility of the code. Also, if someone has a
> DVBFE_DELSYS_DUMMY compliant card, let me know ;)
>
> Moreover I didn't work on the HTTP Interface side so it is not yet aware
> of the new API.
>
> --
> Best Regards
> Claudio Luck
>
> Hi Claudio,

Thanks for you patch.

I tried it and it works great with KNC One DVB-S2 card. It works for both
protokols dvb-s:// and dvb-s2:// and --dvb-hybrid=2. But if I set
satellite:// and --dvb-hybrid=2 then it works just for dvb-s protokol for
now. I will test further and send you my report if something is not working
OK.

Gregor