[vlc-devel] Reg: Problem to play H.264 video , segmentation fault..on linux

Ragas sag info2use4me at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 08:59:03 CEST 2008

Hello Xperts,

I want to play an H.264 video . And i am using an linux platform.
I compiled the code with ffmpeg. But when i tried to play the video, the
programmes gives " Segmentation fault " & crashes.

When i tried to trace the problem, i found in
../ffmpeg/libavformat/utils.c , and functionwise ...
av_find_stream_info() ==> try_decode_frame() ==> avcodec_decode_video()

The code crashes when it enters " avcode_decode_video () " function.

My related questions w.r.t above problem's are,

1) Why segmentation fault is happens ?
2) Has it got to do something with data memory alignment ?
3) Does ffmpeg need to decode some frames to extrat stream information ?

Any guidence or suggestions w.r.t the above mention problem will help me.
Writing this mail, just hopeing somebody will at least make me understand ,
why the problem is happening .

Thank you.

Warm regards,
Sagar