[vlc-devel] commit: Add callback to spu-es from the input. (Jean-Paul Saman )

Remi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Thu Jun 19 11:48:47 CEST 2008

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:14:31 +0200, Felix Paul Kühne
<fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I don't see your point here. The OS X interface works exactly like
> this for more than 5 years now, so please give details why this needs
> to be changed for 0.9.0 _from the user's point of view_. If it works
> for _the user_, I don't see a reason to change this now, even if the
> code isn't clean.

Changing a value from another thread without barrier nor atomicity...

On OSX, you may afford to do that, because you have a well-known very
finite set of CPU architectures, such that you can assume that setting a
bool or an integer might just work.

On portable code, such as the Qt4 interface, it is simply wrong. In fact,
it probably fails on real multiprocessors. Yes, there are many such errors
in VLC. One easy way to find some is to grep for msleep (to the best of my
knowledge msleep is not a memory barrier).

http://www.remlab.net