[vlc-devel] vlc_threads.h debian etch compilation issue

Yohann Martineau yohann.martineau at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 18:27:52 CEST 2008

> I'd posted a patch to fix this a few weeks ago.
> I'm not sure exactly why, but #include'ing config.h before
> any other includes fixes the problem. This touched maybe
> a couple dozen files.

It seems that your patch have not been applied (or has been
overwritten later?) because in my iso_lang.c stdio.h is still included
before config.h
I will try to apply your patch on my tree or to make the same
modification in each file that is "broken" and I'll tell you if it
works.

On 6/23/08, Rémi Denis-Courmont <rdenis at simphalempin.com> wrote:
> Le lundi 23 juin 2008 18:44:40 Yohann Martineau, vous avez écrit :
>> I'm using a standard debian etch and latest git version, via http.
>
> AFAIK, the Debian Etch glibc is faulty on LinuxThreads platforms, that is
> unless you force NPTL instead.
>
> I believe __USE_XOPEN2K _is_ on when _GNU_SOURCE is set (VLC sets it),
> though
> I am not completely sure.

I have tried to add:

#if defined( _GNU_SOURCE )
#warning gnu source is defined
#endif

in vlc_threads.h just before:

typedef pthread_spinlock_t vlc_spinlock_t;

and it show the warning:

In file included from ../include/vlc_common.h:493,
                 from text/iso_lang.c:34:
../include/vlc_threads.h:478:2: warning: #warning gnu source is defined
In file included from ../include/vlc_common.h:493,
                 from text/iso_lang.c:34:
../include/vlc_threads.h:480: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or
'__attribute__' before 'vlc_spinlock_t'

Thanks.