[vlc-devel] libdirac

Pavlov Konstantin thresh at altlinux.ru
Tue Jun 24 12:56:38 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:16:00PM -0400, Bill C. Riemers wrote:

> Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> > Hello Bill,
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:02:30PM -0400, Bill C. Riemers wrote :
> >
> >> It looks like with the latest commits libdirac >= 10.0 is now required
> >> for --enable-dirac.  It looks like this a beta version.   Which is only
> >> available as a source download.  Do we really need to start using the
> >> beta version of dirac?

Yeah, i fail to see why we should not (after reading dirac changelog).

> > This isn't beta, it is officially out since June 4th.
> >
> http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=831476

> > The dirac project gives only source downloads anyway...
> >
> Yes I know.  But typically once software is out of beta there are rpm's
> I can install.  If it is still beta, then I need to spin my own rpm's.
>
> > However, I think you can disable dirac pretty safely :D
> >
> Yeah.  It looks like upgrading dirac would also require patching ffmeg,
> mplayer, and transcode.

That's typical for software like dirac.  I'd suggest you ask your
multimedia maintainer(s) to do that.

And, btw, ffmpeg should be buildable with 0.10.0 as well, and there is a
patch for MPlayer.

Patches for transcode are easily done, though.

> So it is probably just to change my config to
> disable it, until there is a stable version.  I don't think any of my
> videos use dirac, so I am only out of luck if something I want to play
> on the internet is using it.

Yeah, it's nothing more a "hai, we can has a dirac enc/decoder", but i yet
fail to see how it would be usable to anyone.

--
<Meuuh> pleasehelp : are you trying with a dolby trailer ?
<pleasehelp> no... using windows

  -- #videolan