[vlc-devel] Please stop this madness

Remi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Mar 3 08:22:28 CET 2008

   People,

I can understand you have problems using git. Yes it has a steep learning
curve, and yes, I had problems when I started. But when I have problems, I
DO NOT PUSH so that I don't share my problems with everybody else too...
Please stop repeating other's commit, please stop merging without rebasing
for every single small commit that you make, and please don't push a revert
of a commit at the same time at the commit. It's getting impossible to
follow the commit log (so much for git helping with code reviews).

Gosh, there is a sandbox to train, and there is a --dry-run option to git
push to check what you are going to do. They are not for monkeys:
# git push --dry-run
Fast-forward xxxx...yyyy
# git log xxx...yyy
[ Oh, it looks like I am committing more than I am supposed to ]
If it does not say fast forward, you're wrong.

If you need to revert a non-published commit, then JUST RESET IT (git-reset
--hard HEAD^). It makes absolutely no sense to publish a commit immediately
following with its revert.

http://www.remlab.net
http://www.remlab.net