[vlc-devel] commit: Remove --enable-rtmp. ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Remi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Thu Mar 6 08:40:26 CET 2008

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 07:54:02 +0100, Jean-Paul Saman
<jean-paul.saman at planet.nl> wrote:
> git version control wrote:
>> vlc | branch: master | Rémi Denis-Courmont <rem at videolan.org> | Wed Mar
>  5 21:59:27 2008 +0200| [f26a646b38f93d0386141ee760fab791697fa84b]
>>
>> Remove --enable-rtmp.
>>
>> We have enough --enable-foobar already.
>> RTMP does not have any dependency and is not huge.
>
> I don't agree. It is fine for normal desktop/server use, but not for
> embedded use were disk storage and memory is scarce. From the embedded
> point of view having more --enable-foobar is better.

This makes no sense. We have 340+ plugins, and we certainly do NOT want to
have --enable flags for everyone of them. There are plenty of fairly
useless plugins that are always on by default. It would be totally
impractical otherwise, for both developers and external packagers, as the
churn of option would be too high for them to keep up.

Besides, we have plenty of plugins that are much less useful than this one
(especially filters) and are always on as well.

> Having these plugins all enabled by default without having a way of
> turning them on/off is in itself responsible for up to half (or more) of
> the install size of vlc.

That is why they are PLUG-INS, not BUILT-INS. You are free to remove them
from/not install them to your target.

http://www.remlab.net