[vlc-devel] commit: Remove --enable-rtmp. ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Thu Mar 6 20:36:35 CET 2008

Le Thursday 06 March 2008 21:10:45 Jean-Paul Saman, vous avez écrit :
> I agree that having 340+ enable/disable flags in the configure script is
> impratical. So I would want to suggest to use an approach like this:
>
> AC_WITH_ARG(modules, [select specific modules to use this will limit the
> default list of plugins used (default as always)])
> if test -z "${with_modules}"; then
>     VLC_ADD_PLUGIN[ .. ]
>     VLC_ADD_PLUGIN[ .. ]
> else
>      /* only add those which are mentioned */
> fi

Very bad idea IMHO. Packagers are bount to omit new modules in later versions.
There are already enough user complaints due to having forgotten
to --enable-this or --with-that that we don't want to artificially worsen the
situation.

On Linux/BSD (RPM/dpkg/ipkg...), the plugin systems already allows splitting
up VLC into multiple optional packages. I don't see the point of adding
another layer to do the exact same thing in a much less flexible manner
(compile-time instead of run-time).

As for embedded, nobody sane would ever "make install" straight to the
filesystem image... bound to not install/remove various stuff. Translations,
images, skins, documentation files,  the man page, LUA scripts, HTTP
interface files... plugins too. Why would they get a special treatment?

http://www.remlab.net/