[vlc-devel] MacOSX Leopard compilation : still troubles

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Fri Mar 14 20:38:42 CET 2008

Quoting Eric Nicolas <erik.nicolas at gmail.com>:

> Le 13 mars 08 à 13:25, Rafaël Carré a écrit :

> > Also, don't use Xcode 2.5. Use Xcode 3.0 or Xcode 3.1. CMake builds
> > fine on Mac
> > OS X 10.5 here.
>
> ??
> I was just following the instructions on videolan wiki : "You need
> Xcode 2.5 to compile VLC on Leopard" !!!
> You may want to update the wiki, then.

Unfortunately I can't. That raises a nice question: why is this page locked? VLC
building tends to change with each Xcode release so...

> -> I started all over again with the latest sources snapshot and Xcode
> 3.
>
> Now all the contribs compile ok :-)

In fact they don't ;)

> But VLC doesn't compile either :
>
> ld: absolute addressing (perhaps -mdynamic-no-pic) used in
> _sws_rgb2rgb_init from /workarea/contrib/vlc-0.9.0-git/./extras/
> contrib/lib/libswscale.a(rgb2rgb.o) not allowed in slidable image
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[6]: *** [libffmpeg_plugin.la] Error 1
> make[5]: *** [all-modules] Error 1
> make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2

That's the famous ld bug. Either re-run bootstrap from extras/contrib and fully
rebuild ffmpeg (rm -Rf ffmpeg .ffmpeg && make .ffmpeg) so that the Xcode 3.0's
ld bug can be detected, or upgrade to Xcode 3.1 (iPhone SDK).

Pierre.