[vlc-devel] [RFC] Deadlock situation in input.c in create( ... ), with playlist

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Sun Mar 16 10:01:32 CET 2008

Le Sunday 16 March 2008 00:32:12 Andre Weber, vous avez écrit :
> the deadlock occurs durring the /* Parse input options */ code, for normal
> files it couldn't happen but if you try to open a avi with subtitles, or
> open the Direct Show streaming on windows f.e. (just checking the subtitles
> options without haveing them is sufficent to get the deadlock)
>
> and you have the "security policy" set to "ask" - we are stuck in this code
> block:

This looks like another occurence of two non-reentrant subsystems invoking
each others - we already had a similar problem for a long time with the
messages and the threads subsystems...

That's only one more reason why "ask" should not be an option there. The other
more important reason is that all VLC users, except perhaps the developpers
(i.e. 99.999%) will not know how to determine the correct answer.

http://www.remlab.net/