[vlc-devel] GSoC application (UPnP A/V integration)

Antoine Cellerier dionoea at videolan.org
Tue Mar 18 12:58:38 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008, Mirsal Ennaime wrote:
> - Using the coherence framework [1] (Like the GNOME music player
> rhythmbox did) so VLC can have a full working UPnP stack rather quickly
> (Pros: No wheel reinvention. Much easier to write and maintain. Cons:
> It's yet another dependency. It's python, not C)

This would be a good solution. The lib seems portable enough, it has all
the features you need, it's used by a bunch of other media players. The
only issue, as you noted is that it's coded in python. As long as the
lib isn't directly used by the VLC core but in a module it seems ok to
link with python to provide an interface to that library. This will have
a big impact on our binary installer sizes ... but I don't think that
it's worth it to recode everything from scratch just to keep the
download size low.

> - Implementing all the protocols inside VLC, so they can be used outside
> the scope of UPnP A/V. However, this would be much harder and only a
> subset of the above-mentioned features would be ready at the end of the
> SoC.
> (Pros: Reusable code inside VLC. Could be done in C. Cons: Much more
> work to write and maintain the code)

I'd vote against this solution (unless the coherence python code is easy
to port in C/C++ ... but that would be horrible to mantain anyway).

Regards,

--
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea