[vlc-devel] GSoC application (UPnP A/V integration)

Mirsal Ennaime mirsal.ennaime at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 20:21:40 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 18:48 +0100, Rafaël Carré wrote:
> VLC has already some UPnP capabilities, more or less broken, since more
> or less time.
>
> Did you check these features already ?
> Did you check the code ?

Yes, and half of it will need to be rewritten anyway.

> If yes, did you estimate the time for updating these plugins instead of
> writing a brand new plugin ?

Actually the current UPnP code only handles SSDP services discovery, and
was apparently not written with wider UPnP A/V support in mind, so
things like remote devices control would be hard (if not impossible) to
implement using existing code.

IMHO, it needs to be done a more generic way, and I don't mean mere
refactoring.

(I may have missed some code, or misunderstood some parts so it may
require confirmation)

> There is yet another concern : speed.
> I know python is a mature language, but it still is a script language.
> Do you plan to do any measurement against a C version of some
> functionality ?

As this is not cpu-hungry nor latency-critical features, speed is not
that much a big deal (And python is not that slow) but things like
memory footprint may indeed be a concern.

> Do you have a personal preference for one of these options ?

For now, even if I prefer writing C code, I have a little preference for
the coherence way, but I still need to investigate further in order to
know which option is the best for VLC.

--
Mirsal Ennaime