[vlc-devel] commit: Require gettext 0.16.1 ( Rafaël Carré )

Gilles Sabourin gilles.sabourin at free.fr
Sun Mar 23 22:04:56 CET 2008

Le Sunday 23 March 2008 18:02:01 Felix Paul Kühne, vous avez écrit :
> On 23.03.2008, at 17:47, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > Do I have to assume you cannot read the gettext and libtool
> > changelog? If so,
> > you're beyond my help, sorry.
>
> I personally don't do this kind of stuff, no. gettext is a library
> that just needs to work for me, like most of the 30+ dependencies also
> need to. As long as they do want I want them to, I don't care about
> their internals. Obviously, there are other people in this project and
> I'm particularly glad about this. Just because there is no need for me
> to care.
>
> However, if upgrading a library is necessary and breaks other
> platforms, please be more specific on the reasons for the upgrade.
> People like me don't know about and in fact, I'm not willing to spend
> time on reading these logs for the not too likely event that I find
> the note you are referring to, i.e. the one that made it is necessary
> for you to upgrade gettext. Thus, please explain this decision. Don't
> shout at other team members, who may know less than you. Share your
> thoughts!
>

> Best,
> Felix

I remember the switch from gettext 0.16 to gettext 0.16.1 on openSUSE 10.2
where no packages were available from factory : this was a real painfull in
the ass : gettext 0.16 source package were coming with some patches and a
tricky spec file in order to built it without calling the installed autotools
gettext part !!

So, I had to install gettext 0.16 source package to get back 0.16 patches
while inserting 0.16.1 source tarball. Needless to say I crossed my finger
while hoping that each patch was applied correctly to 0.16.1 sources and
built-in tests were passed successfully for each installed language
compiler !

Fortunately, switching from 0.16.1 to 0.17 was more straight, as 0.17 packages
are available from factory repositories (next openSUSE 11.0) and packages
architecture have changed. Hopefully, openSUSE 10.2/10.3 tolerates these
changes without any dependancy problem : this have saved many time and
effort. It would have been very difficult to rebuilt old fashioned packages
without a base model !!!

But gettext 0.17 packages are not available for 15 months old!

I am not a developer but I have few skills. So, I try to cope with the stuff
and to get the straight way to dot it. Whenever a library upgrade is a way to
solve a problem and to avoid tricky workaround, this should be seriously
considered! As for Felix, I am ignoring how things are working under the hood
and I don't care. Until things go wrong...

Greetings,
Gilles Sabourin