[vlc-devel] commit: objects: Call vlc_object_join()automatically from vlc_object_destructor() if needed. (Pierred'Herbemont )

Remi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Tue Mar 25 15:15:10 CET 2008

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:02:21 +0100, Pierre d'Herbemont
<pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:
>> If a thread calls vlc_object_release() to destroy itself, there is an
>> obvious deadlock, and vlc_thread_join() fails loudly.
>
> pthread_join() should not dead lock and return EDEADLK. On Windows, I
> don't know.

Wrong.

EDEADLK is a MAY fail error, not a SHALL fail error. There is no obligation
for pthread implementations to handle this properly. Besides, calling
pthread_join() multiple times against the same thread is explicitly
undefined.

I have to agree with ufnman - this changeset is simply incorrect.

--
Rémi