[vlc-devel] libvlc status? [BIS]

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Mon Mar 31 11:40:01 CEST 2008

On Mar 31, 2008, at 7:17 AM, Tanguy Krotoff wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Pierre d'Herbemont <pdherbemont at free.fr
> > wrote:
>>> libvlc_media_instance_set_drawable() opens me another window
>>> I use Windows XP SP2
>>> I will try my VLC Phonon backend under Linux to see...
>>
>> This is tricky. The drawable really depends on the vout used. I have
>> never used it on Windows, soI can't tell.
>
> It does not work either under Linux. I have to use set_parent() :/

Well, vlc core may need a fix.

> The real feature that blocks me now is to load informations from
> media_descriptor without having to play the file.
> Like a load_media_descriptor() function and then I can use get_meta(),
> get_duration() and stuffs.
> I guess it is not simple to implement and I'm not good enough with vlc
> core source code :/
> Or somebody can tell me where I have to look so I can try...

Currently libvlc_media_get_meta() triggers preparse_if_needed(), which
will then asynchronously fill the meta information, and send event as
they get them.

I felt like it was enough. But I do understand that a blocking _load()
that would ensure that all the meta where fetched could be better. Is
that what is needed?

For the duration, I would need to investigate a bit more, but it
definitely need some core tweakin.

>>> I have almost 1000 lines of code because of this... cf
>>> http://smplayer.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/smplayer/experimental/phonon-vlc/vlc_symbols.h?revision=1020&view=markup
>>> and others
>>
>>  Do you think you could provide that?
>
> Provide the code to load libvlc-control.so/.dll at runtime?
> It's here (sourceforge svn) but it depends on C++/Qt + it is not the
> clean way to go (it's better to provide .lib/.dll/.pdb if possible).

Well, if you feel like doing it that would be awesome.

> Another question
> I saw a CMake support in extras dir, what is the state? (I like very
> much CMake :p)

I am the only one using it, but it works nicely here. (Well, it lacks
some plugin, and some other small thing)

Pierre.