[vlc-devel] OSX Compile issue - /lib/cpp insanity?

Dave Still dave at stilldesigning.com
Mon May 5 22:35:44 CEST 2008

I've been trying to compile VLC from git for the last couple of
weeks.  Contribs compile correctly and vlc bootstraps, but when I run
'./configure --enable-debug --with-macosx-sdk' I keep getting the
following error message:

checking how to recognize dependent libraries... (cached) pass_all
checking dlfcn.h usability... no
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: dlfcn.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: dlfcn.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: dlfcn.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: dlfcn.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be
Compiled"
configure: WARNING: dlfcn.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: dlfcn.h: in the future, the compiler will take
precedence
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
See `config.log' for more details.

I'm running Leopard 10.5.2 with iPhone devkit beta 4.  'cpp --version'
reports the following:

i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5480)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
is NO
PURPOSE.

I checked, and there is no file at /lib/cpp.  I'd consider linking,
but I don't think it's supposed to be there.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
- Dave