[vlc-devel] libvlc_media_descriptor_add_option and :vout-filter problem

Antoine Cellerier dionoea at videolan.org
Wed May 7 18:41:44 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008, jboileau wrote:
> Thanks!

Ok, this is a bloody mess.

The attached patch provides a solution for cases like:
 * no :vout-filter -> :vout-filter
 * :vout-filter=a -> :vout-filter=b
Unfortunately, the :vout-filter -> no :vout-filter case isn't as easy as
it might seem since VLC relies on the vout's "vout-filter" variable to
keep track of deinterlacing enabling/disabling. So the following case is
problematic:

1st video:
The user provides :vout-filter=filterA on the command line.
var_Get( p_input, "vout-filter" ) is equal to "filterA"
var_Get( p_vout, "vout-filter" ) is also equal to "filterA"
The user sets deinterlacing to on via the interface.
Both variables get changed to "filterA:deinterlace"

2nd video:
The user doesn't provide :vout-filter on the command line.
Either we keep the old "vout-filter" values ... so the old filterA is
still enabled while it shouldn't (current behavior), or we dump the
"vout-filter" values ... but then we're loosing the deinterlacing.

The real question is, do we care if we lose the deinterlacing setting on
input item change? (We already lose it when the input items don't have
the same video format) If we don't care ... then this is fixable. Else,
this is a real mess.

--
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea