[vlc-devel] Subtitles downloader for VLC

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Thu May 8 20:47:58 CEST 2008

Hello again.

On 08.05.2008, at 00:04, Jean-Philippe ANDRÉ wrote:
> I suppose providing copyrighted subtitles is illegal, but there are
> not
> only copyrighted materials.
It is illegal because it is a derived work from a copyrighted item
without prior written permission. In the same spirit, you may not
translate a book to a foreign language without asking its original
publisher first.

> Could not we have such a disclaimer displaying each time the user
> wants to use this module ?
This would be make sense, but I still have bad feeling about this as
the Subtitles-Downloader is clearly intended for mainstream,
commercial movies. Virtually no home-movies use subtitles (or even a
subtitles-download page to distribute them).

> Same for youtube, etc... scripts.
That's a different point. The lua-scripts providing access to YouTube,
etc. are just different ways of accessing the same streams as it was
possible using your webbrowser. In fact, VLC is just a web-browser
which doesn't show the html, but the FlashVideos only. YouTube is no
legally controversial platform (although some of its contents are
voiding 3rd party's copyrights, but that's another matter and none of
our business) in contrast to Subtitles-download pages.

> The user must be responsible of his own acts. If he downloads
> something non free, then he is responsible of this.
We need to make this fact very clear in any case. However, I hope to
meet a friend of mine next week, who is quite familiar with this kind
of problems (having a law-background himself).
Anyway, as already pointed yesterday, some time ago we refused to
include a demuxer for ed2k-files for legal reasons. I'd like to see
reasons in which ways this case is different to our previous decision.

> The module should not (and does not) download anything in a fully
> automated way. The user always has to accept and demand the download.
That's definitely a good thing, but I don't know (yet) whether this is
enough.

On 08.05.2008, at 11:54, Pavlov Konstantin wrote:
> I think that possibility to transcode rented media (e.g. DVD) should
> be
> removed as well, as it endorses the theft as well.

No, you are mixing things up here IMO. It's clearly legal within the
European Union to create private copies of your own, bought media for
backup and compatibility reasons as long as they are not protected by
a reliable copy protection mechanism (which is why my personal opinion
is that it is legal to rip CSS-protected DVDs as CSS is obviously no
strong, reliable copy protection mechanism, but this opinion still
needs to be confirmed in court).
If you abuse your personal right to create private copies of disks you
own (read: not "you possess") for your personal usage by illegally
copying media which is only possessed for a limited time, then it's
your personal problem. VLC's streaming and copying mechanisms are
clearly intended for different purposes. Additionally, VLC is not and
will (hopefully) never be advertised as a DVD-ripping application.

Best regards,
Felix