[vlc-devel] [videolan] I need a stable version of VLC - willing to pay - willing to contribute programming effort - interested in partership

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at empiatech.com
Sun May 11 21:42:58 CEST 2008

Hi,

--- Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org> schrieb:

> Le Fri, 9 May 2008 17:25:49 -0400,
> "Lewis G. Pringle, Jr." <lewis at sophists.com> a
> écrit :
>
> > Folks:
> >
> >             I have a need for a program with the
> functionality of VLC
> > 0.8.6f, but which is considerably more stable and
> robust than that
> > version of the software.
>
> VLC is quite stable & robust already.

What do you want to use VLC for?

> >             I realize you are actively developing
> version 0.9, but
> > that appears even less stable than VLC 0.8.6f.
>
> Of course it is still in the works.
>
> >             The company I’m working with is
> willing to contribute
> > resources (either cash or software development
> effort) to make this
> > happen.
>
> What kind of skills can you provide in software
> development ?
>
> >             I’m working the direct angle of
> analyzing the code
> > myself, and trying to debug the various problems
> we’ve encountered,
> > but when I saw this webpage
> (http://www.videolan.org/team/) it
> > occurred to me that directly contacting the right
> person in this
> > effort might be a good way to more efficiently get
> what we all want –
> > a more stable and reliable version of VLC.
>
> I think listing the problems would help figuring out
> what's wrong.

* Analog Audio for v4l/v4l2 doesn't work reliable, the
sound becomes choppy (alsa/oss) after a while, or
disappears completly when the system is under load
(with alsa).

For me the best way to get around this was to add an
extra thread and bypass the VLC audio handling.

Another requested feature is to add Closed Caption to
VLC (analog TV), will be needed by a company to ship a
product based on VLC to the US market.

Markus