[vlc-devel] commit: Fix cyclic dependancy between input and "sout stream" description ( Rafaël Carré )

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Tue May 13 16:51:53 CEST 2008

Le Tuesday 13 May 2008 17:34:40 Rafaël Carré, vous avez écrit :
> >  Hence a sout plugin must yield the input (or any other foreign object)
> > for as long as it needs it. Please revert.
>
> I will not revert, but instead I'll cook a good fix:
>
> What happens is that when no-sout-keep is specified, description keeps
> the last reference on the input object, and when releasing it ( in
> Del() ) the input will be destroyed, and all his children (including
> description) also.

This is totally broken. #display also has the same problem. More generally,
the stream output chain can have multiple elements yielding the input, so
there is no way all of them can be the last one. And even if it were
possible, it would be way too horrible.

REVERT THIS. It makes no sense.

http://www.remlab.net/