[vlc-devel] commit: Debug code to prevent FIND_PARENT from crashing. ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Wed May 14 21:37:19 CEST 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 9:10 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> However, if the object type uses reference counting as an automatic
> object
> cleanup procedure, there is no way to ensure that the object being
> destroyed
> has no children.

Well, currently it may simply do a vlc_object_release() on its
children from the destructor. (or a vlc_object_detach() on them).

But I am not sure that it's done safely in most cases.

As a side note, most object Stop/Terminate/Destroy functions could
potentially be harmful if the object refcount is not 1 prior to
calling. (And render the whole refcounting system mostly useless).

Thanks for tackling those issues,

Pierre.