[vlc-devel] main libvlc error: input item... when calling libvlc_release

jboileau jboileau at gmail.com
Thu May 15 18:26:10 CEST 2008

Hi Pierre,

I think I have found something. libvlc_media_release is called by
libvlc_media_player_release. Since I call it and
libvlc_media_player_release calls it I figured this might be one to
many times. I commented out my libvlc_media_release and there is no
assert anymore. Was my call to libvlc_media_release superfluous and
damageable?

I know some of the functions in libvlc_media_player_... take care of
releasing the media(libvlc_media_player_release,
libvlc_media_player_set_media, probably others). There may be good
reasons to do this. But if it is only for convenience, this is not my
prefered way of doing things. If I create something I would rather be
responsible for releasing it. Even if it meant an extra call before
libvlc_media_player_set_media. I like that 'create' and 'release' are
paired at the same level of code. Just my opinion...

Jacques

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Pierre d'Herbemont <pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:

> On May 15, 2008, at 2:43 PM, jboileau wrote:
>
>> Hi Pierre,
>>
>> I don't know if this helps, but now that I have VLC / libvlc compiled
>> with debug info and Dr Mingw installed I can give you a backtrace of
>> the problem. Does that help?
>
> Well, not much here. Is using the same option while using vlc instead
> of the test app produces the same error?
>
> Pierre.

Jacques Boileau