[vlc-devel] commit: vlc: Code conventions. (Pierre d'Herbemont )

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Thu May 15 22:54:47 CEST 2008

Le Thu, 15 May 2008 23:42:23 +0300,
Rémi Denis-Courmont <rdenis at simphalempin.com> a écrit :

> > > -            if (vlc) libvlc_release( vlc );
> > > +            if (vlc) libvlc_release (vlc);
> >
> > I don't remember seeing this convention.
>
> Neither do I.
>
> But VLC disagrees with the world few undisputed coding styles. You
> know people disagree an spaces vs tabs and the size of tasbs, on the
> width of a line, on how to wrap overly long lines, on whether
> statement block braces deserve an empty line of their own, on whether
> single statement blocks should have braces or not, on whether there
> is a space between a function name and the opening parenthesis, on
> whether to use_underscore_function_names or
> CapitalLettersFunctionNames. Also few other people still believe in
> the hungarian notation (at least Win32, but that's not a reference).
>
> BUT - everybody agrees that there is no space between the opening
> parenthesis and the first parameter, nor between the last parameter
> and the closing parenthesis.

There is nothing to agree or not.

A convention doesn't have to be justified, that's its definition.

When I joined the VLC team, I just read the convention and stuck to it,
without wondering if it was good or not.

The whole point is that we all use the same, if you take another
approach, there is no convention anymore.

--
Rafaël Carré