[vlc-devel] Use of vlc as a "codec development framework" (bump)

Jeffrey Graham jsg at energid.com
Fri May 16 16:26:31 CEST 2008

Hello,

I'm interesting in developing improvements to existing H264 codec, and
also in creating new codecs.
It would seem VLC is a good candidate for this purpose, but I've not
found any mention of it.

I've downloaded and compiled the latest from git. Everything seems fine,
and I've found the existing
H264 module, which actually uses x264. I've compiled x264 and included
it into a build of VLC.

I've found the documentation on programming and plugins in general, but
not any specific CODEC example or specific
requirements that a CODEC must meet, or how to register a new CODEC.

I received no response to a similar earlier post. Perhaps someone could
recommend a better place/method to ask these sorts of questions?

All help is appreciated
Thanks,
Jeff