[vlc-devel] Adding new API for filters to libvlc

jboileau jboileau at gmail.com
Fri May 16 19:51:05 CEST 2008

Hi,

As you may have noticed I have been making myself acquainted at
building VLC. I have been using and developing, using vlc and libvlc,
for over 2 years now. I have one project working, which is basic
enough, using libvlc. But now the project I have started working on
requires access to filters which are presently not accessible through
libvlc. What I would like to do is develop the necessary additions to
the libvlc API to access a few filters. Of course I would like to do
this as a contribution to VLC so everyone can benefit. And I would
rather do this with some guidance so that I do things in accordance to
what as already been done. I would welcome any thoughts on the
feasability and how I should go about doing this. Who I should talk
to, what should I read, etc.

I will be working on Windows. I believe there are no Windows developer
on VLC presently, so that might be useful. But I am also aware that
working on VLC under Windows has its drawbacks. I have many years of
programming experience (more than I care to state! :-) ) but apart
from glancing at the VLC code, I have little experience with it. As a
first try at getting my feet wet, I have been trying to understand and
fix an assert in libvlc_release (the cause may be elsewhere but the
assert happens when I call libvlc_release). I have not been
successful. But the experience as showed me that there quite a bit to
learn about this code before feeling comfortable fixing things. Not
knowing the intended design, I can only guess if the behaviour I see
is right or wrong.

Anyways, just wanted to share a little of what I am doing and what my
intentions are regarding libvlc.

--
Jacques Boileau