[vlc-devel] commit: Put the _same_ _platform-independent_ stuff in the same place ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Thu May 22 20:15:10 CEST 2008

Le Thursday 22 May 2008 20:58:40 Jean-Baptiste Kempf, vous avez écrit :
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 06:38:23PM +0200, git version control wrote :
> > vlc | branch: master | Rémi Denis-Courmont <rem at videolan.org> | Thu May
> > 22 19:39:53 2008 +0300| [da5d49e2845972ebc5ecb8e65544c06a75eb9371]
> >
> > Put the _same_ _platform-independent_ stuff in the same place
>
> I disagree with that change and the previous one.
>
> Windows users are not used to have share/ folders.
> This doesn't mean anything to them.

No less than to MacOS X, Ubuntu and BeOS users.

> Skins are in skins/, locale are in locale/ and plugins are in plugins/,
> why wouldn't we have lua scripts in lua/ or in scripts/ ?

Skins are in share/skins/, locale are in share/locale/ and why would lua
scripts be in share/lua/ ? because if people actually ever install custom
scripts, it is a hell of a lot easier for those who provide them if the path
are identical...

> Most of the open source projects that are cross-platform do the same and
> don't use share/ folders, especially when the stuffs in this share/
> folder are NOT shared between applications.

This statement shows that you don't even know why it's called share in the
first place. Thank you for proving my point.

http://www.remlab.net/