[vlc-devel] commit: Disable the default compilation of cmake as its support is to-be-removed. ( Felix Paul Kühne )

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Sat May 24 18:37:06 CEST 2008

Le Sat, 24 May 2008 18:30:56 +0200,
Felix Paul Kühne <fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com> a écrit :

> On 24.05.2008, at 18:10, Rafaël Carré wrote:
>
> > I wasn't aware, can you detail please ?
>
> Sure. Right now, Pierre is the only maintainer of the cmake scripts.
> As he got further commitments, he won't have the time to maintain
> the scripts for the next few years, which is why he plans to remove
> the support for it again.

I can do that (at least I can try)

I more or less successfully builds VLC with cmake on OSX & Linux,
didn't spend too much time on it yet.
The configure part is a bit sucky, but building is 3 or 4 times faster
than with automake.

> I just disabled the default compilation of cmake to ensure nightly
> builds for OS X on PowerPC-based Macs which was broken due to the
> recent upgrade to 2.6.0. Obviously, my commit can easily be reverted
> as soon as we get it working on this platform. I really don't oppose
> the usage of cmake within VLC's build system.

Cool

> However, thanks to
> courmisch's recent improvements to our traditional build system, the
> need to switch to cmake got less urgent. In fact, I don't really
> know whether it is still needed at all.

autotools building and configuration is still slow, and courmisch will
not make anymore drastic enhancements I fear.

cmake should still be marked as experimental though.

--
Rafaël Carré