[vlc-devel] commit: Disable the default compilation of cmake as its support is to-be-removed. ( Felix Paul Kühne )

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Sat May 24 19:13:14 CEST 2008

Le Sat, 24 May 2008 19:55:40 +0300,
Rémi Denis-Courmont <rdenis at simphalempin.com> a écrit :

> Le Saturday 24 May 2008 19:37:06 Rafaël Carré, vous avez écrit :
> > I more or less successfully builds VLC with cmake on OSX & Linux,
> > didn't spend too much time on it yet.
>
> Hmmph, cmake is pretty unusable on Linux at the moment. It lacks way
> too many plugin checks. Frankly, I would not mind switching to CMake
> if:
> - the documentation was remotely as good as the autotools one
>   (I _mean_ offline documentation, not some unreliable wiki)

I tend to use the manual page of cmake, the only online doc I had found
was an exact copy of it.

> - someone bothered to port the whole set of configure.ac checks.

I'd like to do that in my day job, wonder if it's possible.
Will keep you informed. *looks jpsaman*

> Personally, I'd rather keep the slow autotools than bother with these
> issues.

Fine with me, I continue to use autotools when I want something
reliable.

> > autotools building and configuration is still slow, and courmisch
> > will not make anymore drastic enhancements I fear.
>
> Yeah, it's fairly difficult to make it significantly faster at this
> point. Removing libtool would help but then building shared libraries
> on ELF platforms will become, hmm, challenging (and I am quite
> suspicious about what cmake does there).
>
> That being noted, much of the slowness of autotools is due to a much
> stricter dependency tracking. CMake often fails to rebuild stuff that
> should be rebuilt... If you're happy that way, you can also do
> ./configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-maintainer-mode
>
> Also, if you're building a package for installation, you should
> really: ./configure --enable-fast-install --disable-maintainer-mode

Thanks for the tips :P

--
Rafaël Carré