[vlc-devel] problems building vlclib 0.9.6 on OS X

Stjepan Rajko stjepan.rajko at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 22:40:47 CET 2008

Hello,

I am trying to build libvlc from the 0.9.6 source download, on OS X
(leopard).  This is a part of my ongoing efforts to use libvlc in an
application - I am very excited about libvlc, but linking to it
successfully seems to be rather elusive for me :-)

I am following the instructions here:
http://wiki.videolan.org/OSXCompile

I have some questions / problems I ran into.  My first question is
about getting the source tarball vs. the current version using git.
The instructions say "Note that the 3rd party libraries will probably
break a few months after the release's publication".  I don't
understand why this is a problem, since your extras/contrib script
appears to download specific versions of library dependencies.
Shouldn't it always download the versions that are appropriate for the
tarballed release?

Since 0.9.6 is pretty recent, I optimistically went forward with
building from the release.  The "Build external libs" step went fairly
well.  Do disable fink, the instructions indicated I should modify
.cshrc or .bashr, but I have neither of those files - I needed to
update .profile.

I also ran into an error at one point:

/usr/bin/curl -L -O http://live555.com/liveMedia/public/live555-latest.tar.gz
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  434k  100  434k    0     0   420k      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:--  800k
rm -rf live || true
gunzip -c live555-latest.tar.gz | tar xf - --exclude='[*?:<>\|]'
mv live555-latest live || true
mv: rename live555-latest to live/live555-latest: No such file or directory
touch live
patch -p0 < Patches/live-noapps.patch
patching file live/Makefile.tail
patch -p0 < Patches/live-uselocale.patch
patching file live/liveMedia/include/Locale.hh
patching file live/liveMedia/Locale.cpp
patching file live/liveMedia/RTSPClient.cpp
patching file live/liveMedia/RTSPCommon.cpp
Hunk #1 FAILED at 146.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
live/liveMedia/RTSPCommon.cpp.rej
patching file live/config.mingw
make[1]: *** [live] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I re-ran make and it continued, without any further problems.  I hope
that patch hunk was not essential :-)

Some questions:

The instructions say "Now execute make. This will download prebuilt
binary contrib you can happily use to build VLC wth -- only if you're
using git master branch."  What are you supposed to do if you are not
using the git master branch?  Also, I am not clear why it says that it
will download prebuilt binary contrib when in fact it appears to be
downloading and compiling a whole bunch of things.

The instructions do mention "If you're trying to build some release
from 0.9 series, you need to execute: make src" but this doesn't work
(make: Nothing to be done for `src'.).  I also remember seeing on some
page that you can do "make bin" but that didn't work either.

--

I then went to the top-level VLC directory and ran "./configure
--enable-debug --with-macosx-sdk" as per instructions.  The script

Any suggestion on what to try next?

Thanks,

Stjepan