[vlc-devel] vlc, RTSP and digest authentication

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Tue Nov 11 09:27:56 CET 2008

   Hello,

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:43:54 -0800, Ratin <ratin3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that when a server signals vlc that the authentication is
> required to get stream via RTSP by sending "401 UNAUTHORIZED",
> vlc opens a new socket to resubmit its request.

With RTSP, sessions are NOT tied to transport connections.

> This poses a problem for the server because the server is supposed
> to open a new client session for the new socket

No no. Go read RFC2326 (or draft rfc2326bis).

RTSP sesions are not tied to sockets.

> and the old authentication information such as the nonce etc

No. The authentication nonce cannot be tied to the transport connection.
That would be silly since it's an extension to HTTP, and HTTP transport
connection are stateless.

> Anybody experienced this issue?

I have not checked.

> I believe vlc is not complying with the RFC,

I believe your server is not complying with the RFC.