[vlc-devel] ts and PES dts

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Tue Nov 11 15:55:18 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008, Christophe Massiot wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008, Sébastien Escudier wrote:
> >
> > > But in that particular case, the timestamps would be incorrect if you
> > > don't increment them (and you can't know of how much to increment them).
> >
> > Why should I increment the timestamps ? when PES cut a frame in blocks of 65000
> > byte max, these blocks should have the same timestamps, as it is the same frame
> > ?
>
> The PTS are defined as the timestamps of the first frame *starting* in
> the PES. In that case there are no frame starting in the PES.
 Yes, that's why I said that at the bistream level it was probably not valid.
 But inside vlc, on the block_t that hold the PES, we may set them to non 0
value (but without the pts/dts set inside the pes header). But I do not know
if it will have side effects. (on vlc code)
 Using unlimited PES might be better.

--
fenrir