[vlc-devel] mpeg2 video encoding

Anton Kapela tkapela at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 17:41:19 CET 2008

Team,

I've recently switched several OSX and winXP systems to version 0.9.6
of the vlc package. I've noticed that since moving to this version,
mpeg2 video encoding seems to not work. Interestingly, mpeg2 audio
encoding does work (though it's unclear to me where support this
compressor comes from or what module it's packaged within).

I tested a previous version of VLC (0.8.6i, in my test case) and
observed mpeg2 video encoding does indeed work.

I've placed -vvv output from two invocations (one using xvid .avi
source file on disk, the other receiving a udp multicast stream via
the network) of vlc command lines in the following pastebin url:

http://pastebin.com/m2ab7db36

In short, when I do "vcodec=mp2v" I get "cannot find video encoder"
..but only while using 0.9.6 (didn't test previous versions of
0.9...). The interesting part: I don't get this error when using
0.8.6i.

I did notice that (in the win32 version) 0.9.6i doesn't include
libffmpeg_plugin.dll, persuant the 0.9-series release notes (in
NEWS.txt - "The ffmpeg module has been removed and replaced by the new
avcodec, avformat, swscale (or imgresample if you use a swscale-less
ffmpeg build) and postproc modules.").

What has me stumped is trying to determine where mpeg2 video encoding
support is supposed to come from, if not libavcodec. However, when I
use a right 'out of the box' copy of 0.9.6, which definitely is
packaged with libavcodec (as h264, mp4v, and mp2a all seem to work
fine), somehow I'm missing mpeg2 video encoding. Of course, mpeg2
video decoding works.

I've searched the vlc user list archive and the vlc forum to no avail.
If, in fact, mpeg2 video encoding should work, I'd appreciate any
pointers or advice in the correct use or invocation of said codec. I'm
hopeful the only issue is my sheer ignorance of vlc.

Best,

-Tk