[vlc-devel] RE : RE : [LONG] Some thoughts and questions about vout

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Nov 13 21:57:57 CET 2008

Le jeudi 13 novembre 2008 22:40:49 brezhoneg1, vous avez écrit :
> ------ if we need to distinguish origin (playlist, VLM or libvlc API),
> this should not be a problem.

I am not saying this is a fundamental problem. But this is a problem with your
proposed API.

>     Through genealogy of calling object (p_obj->p_parent->p_parent...
> till Null), we know how to differentiate them. So we can keep this
> information in the recycling structure, and reattribute objects to their
> original family.

I would really rather we forget about the object genealogy thing. As far as I
can tell, it is meant for configuration inheritance (and debug). Children
should really _never_ need to know about their parents. I much prefer the way
it's done with sout already now - the parent can just take its
grand(^n)children out of the input if it wants to keep it.

I am pretty sure Pierre d'H. will make the same point. And Laurent's not
unlikely to either. If the authority argument is not enough:

Looking for parent objects always often triggers weird problem when extending
and changing things in unpexted ways, and sometimes causes deadlocks.
Try --sout-keep --sout '#display' and see for yourself. In the same vain, I
wonder how many ways we can screw things up today with slave inputs with all
those vlc_object_find(INPUT, PARENT) all over.

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary