[vlc-devel] help with compiling vlc with some self made extensions to libvlc

Vinod Kumar Malamal Vadakital vinod.malamalvadakital at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 18:18:48 CET 2008

Hello all,
    I am working on extending libvlc for some personal development purpose.
This are the steps and error that I get:
1.  I make a function myfunction() and added it to media_player.c
2.  I put the definition of myfunction() in libvlc.h
3.  I compile the code and do a make install. I install then in /usr in my
linux box.
4.  When I check if the header is correctly installed in
/usr/include/libvlc.h ... it is ok.
5.  I would then like to call myfuction() from a program myprogram.c that
initializes libvlc and starts media player and plays an rtsp file.
6.  myprogram.c include <vlc/vlc.h>
7.  I compile myprogram using gcc -o myprogram myprogram.c 'pkg-config
libvlc --cflags --libs' -wall
8.  But during compilation I get the error undefined reference to
'myfunction'
9.  Without the call of myfunction in myprogram.c, all compilations go fine
and I am able to stream an RTSP file.

What am I doing wrong? I would be glad if somebody could point out what I am
doing wrong or if there is any additional steps that I need to do while
installing vlc with changes into the code.

Best Regards
Vinod