[vlc-devel] Dynamic rendering for Kate streams

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 28 12:53:50 CET 2008

> What do I do about windows? :D

I didn't add it as I can't test there. It would be cheeky to add it
and leave someone else fix it :) libtiger depends on Cairo and
Pango, and I've read that they're not "just use apt-get" easy to
install. I'm reasonably confident it will work on any recent Linux
type system, and on any Unix like system where Cairo and
Pango run. While libkate was reported to work on Windows, I
have had no such reports about libtiger (which is rather newer
though).

> Btw, why doesn't .kate target depend on  .tiger ?

It's the other way round. libkate decodes the streams and exposes
decoded data, and libtiger uses those to render. You can decode
Kate streams without libtiger, though rendering will be limited to
text and simple background images.

If libtiger is reported to work on Windows, then I could change the
contribs so .kate depends on .tiger (are cyclical deps OK there ?),
and always have full rendering.