[vlc-devel] GSoC 2008 OS X interface

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 10 14:16:44 CEST 2008

Am 08.10.2008 um 15:39 schrieb Derk-Jan Hartman:

> I've been totally out of touch with this work of Eric, except seeing
> some screenshots and movies.
>
> I like what I have seen, but if we want to get this into 1.0.0 it's
> time to do some serious work.
> Now that we have multiple OSX devs reasonably available at the same
> time, we should see what we can do here and make sure it gets rolling.
>
> So what are the current blocking issues in Eric's work?
> How do we want to start integrating his and the base ?

We have to do manual patches, as he didn't provide any. The most time
consuming part is probably editing the MainMenu.nib in master
according to his work, as we cannot merge the files and since we did
quite a few changes to the master nib since his branch was created.
Porting the code should be quite easy.
Once the merge is complete, we need to implement a few missing buttons
(the fullscreen button on the panel doesn't work for instance) and fix
some usability and design issues. The list on the left hand side got
some re-draw issues, etc.

Regrettably, a full-time university schedule plus 15 hours of work at
my employer start for me next Monday, so I won't have much time to
work on VLC. For now, I don't really think that I could contribute
much time or even code until the xmas holidays, so better plan the
work without me. However, I will jump in from time to time. You'll
see ;-)

Ah, another few words on Eric's work: he also did a VLC-based
QuickLook plugin which converts the first 30 sec of a given clip to a
QuickTime-compatible format, which is finally shown by the provided QT-
QuickLook-plugin. This plugin does only behave like this if Perian
isn't installed, which does a much better job than we could ever do
through a 3rd party QuickLook-plugin (restrictions of the platform
apply here). We should consider to back-port it, too, which will be
really easy as the code is independent from the VLC code base
(obviously except for framework usage).

Best regards,

Felix